Monday 7 June 2010

The Bengal 6 Part Two

So how do you agree on a layout for 6 cats in one composition when you have a portfolio full of images and infinate possibilities?

For me the answer is Photoshop.  It's a great tool for quickly and easily pulling a composition together to show to a client.  I started out by selecting what I thought would be the best images to work with - you saw those in my last post.  With Photoshop you can build up your composition in layers, a bit like a scrapbook except with no glue!

These are the first two layouts I tried.

I sent both to Tracey and Steve to see what their comments were.  Like me, the guys favoured layout 2 with a couple of tweaks.

We spent 30 minutes on the phone one evening moving cats around and trying different images.

Our biggest issue had been getting a good shot of Carminah the kitten, but we solved that with the 'jiggery-pokery' that I mentioned in the last post.

Eventually we decided that this would be our layout:

With Shadow & Spirit looking into the picture from the left and Jasper & Sonnet holding it all together on the right, we felt that this was the right balance.

So....next comes al the hard work.

This will be pastel on velour, so my next step was to create the overall sketch on watercolour paper, the only paper I had that was large enough for the sketch.  Although you can't see the scale here, the piece of velour that I'm working on is 70cm x 50 cm. So quite large to do justice to such a family.  You can just see the corner of the A4 reference sheet in the top left.
Next to transfer the drawing to the velour:

This bit always amazes me because it looks so flat!  Then suddenly when you start on the eyes, animal start to appear out of the paper...

I will start on Shadow in the top left hand corner, so that I'm not resting on work previously done...then the rest of the boys in the back row will follow.

Thats all for now... part three with Shadows eyes in a few days.

3 comments:

  1. Great thanks Jill, can't wait for part 3 and Shadow's eyes. Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jilly
    This will be a fun one I think :o)

    I 'fell out of love' with velour paper when I discovered Fisher 400 but have so much on my shelf I really ought to dust some off and give it another chance. How do you transfer your drawings from watercolour paper to velour?

    Cheers
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue
    Thanks for subscribing - great to see you here!
    I liked your description of your feelings towards velour lol.
    Funnily enough I have just had some Fisher400 delivered, so I'm chomping at the bit to give it a go.

    As for transfers....depends on the image. If it's a single subjects, I normally draw it straight onto the velour with a pastel pencil just darker than the shade of velour.

    For compositions, I sketch out on watercolour at actual size and then trace the outline in a very soft pencil and trace onto the velour in the normal way. This ensures that the proportions of my original composition are accurate. Sometimes it indents the velour, but I tend to work the pastel in quite hard so you never see the indents.

    Hope that helps
    Take care

    Jilly x

    ReplyDelete